621x74.gif

China Daily

//www.chinadailyhk.com/public_resource/public/css/style.css {"dm":"https://www.chinadailyhk.com","httpDomain":"https://www.chinadailyhk.com","hr":"/","httpRoot":"/","smr":"/cndy_asia/WEB/","subMediaRoot":"/cndy_asia/WEB/","trr":"/public_resource/templates/","templatesResRoot":"/public_resource/templates/","srr":"/public_resource/subjects/","subjectsResRoot":"/public_resource/subjects/","pr":"//www.chinadailyhk.com/public_resource/public","publicRoot":"//www.chinadailyhk.com/public_resource/public","subMediaLocalPath":"/data/files/mcpp/publish/cndy_asia/WEB/","other":{"baidu_map_apikey":"T0IxOVsyHiwtTfZRxdyzNH5C","txyun_apikey":"1252065688"}}
News> World> Content
Saturday, October 27, 2018, 14:14
Migrant caravan members reject offer to stay in Mexico
By Associated Press
Saturday, October 27, 2018, 14:14 By Associated Press

Migrants, who are part of a caravan of Central American migrants slowly making its way toward the US border, rest on the rails in Arriaga, Mexico, Oct 26, 2018. Many migrants said they felt safer traveling and sleeping with several thousand strangers in unknown towns than hiring a smuggler or trying to make the trip alone. (RODRIGO ABD / AP)

ARRIAGA, Mexico — Several thousand Central American migrants turned down a Mexican offer of benefits if they applied for refugee status and stayed in the country's two southernmost states, vowing to set out before dawn Saturday to continue their long trek toward the US border.

Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto announced what he called the "You are at home" plan, offering shelter, medical attention, schooling and jobs to Central Americans in Chiapas and Oaxaca states if they applied, calling it a first step toward permanent refugee status. Authorities said more than 1,700 had already applied for refugee status.

The bulk of the migrants were boisterous Friday evening in their refusal to accept anything less than safe passage to the US border

But after one of the caravan's longest days of walking and hanging from passing trucks, the bulk of the migrants were boisterous Friday evening in their refusal to accept anything less than safe passage to the US border.

"Thank you!" they yelled as they voted to reject the offer in a show of hands in the town of Arriaga. They then added: "No, we're heading north!"

Sitting at the edge of the edge of the town square, 58-year-old Oscar Sosa of San Pedro Sula, Honduras concurred.

READ MORE: Trump sending troops to border, an issue that fires up base

"Our goal is not to remain in Mexico," Sosa said. "Our goal is to make it to the (US). We want passage, that's all."

Still 1,600 kilometers from the nearest US border crossing at McAllen, Texas, the journey could be twice as long if the group heads for the Tijuana-San Diego frontier, as another caravan did earlier this year. Only about 200 in that group made it to the border.

While such migrant caravans have taken place regularly over the years, passing largely unnoticed, they have received widespread attention this year after fierce opposition from US President Donald Trump.

Men pass up water to Central Americans riding on the back of a truck while other migrants wait for rides, as a thousands-strong caravan of Central American makes its way towar

On Friday, the Pentagon approved a request for additional troops at the southern border, likely to total several hundred, to help the US Border Patrol as Trump seeks to transform concerns about immigration and the caravan into electoral gains in the Nov 6 midterms.

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis signed off on the request for help from the Department of Homeland Security and authorized the military staff to work out details such as the size, composition and estimated cost of the deployments, according to a US official who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss planning that has not yet been publicly announced.

Stoking fears about the caravan and illegal immigration to rally his Republican base, the president has insinuated that gang members and "Middle Easterners" are mixed in the group, though he later acknowledged there was no proof of that.

ALSO READ: Hundreds of migrant children held in US for months, filings show

A coordinator of the caravan said they would strike out again before dawn for Tapanatepec, about 46 kilometers away across the Oaxaca state line.

Mexico's government has allowed the migrants to make their way on foot, but has not provided them with food, shelter or bathrooms, reserving any aid for those who turn themselves in.

Police have also been ejecting paid migrant passengers off buses, enforcing an obscure road insurance regulation to make it tougher for them to travel that way.

Migrants, who enter Mexico illegally every day, usually ride in smugglers' trucks or buses, or walk at night to avoid detection. The fact that this group was walking in broad daylight suggests they were adopting the tactics of the caravan, which is large enough to be out in the open without fear of mass detentions.

On Friday evening, Irineo Mujica, whose organization People without Borders is supporting the caravan, accused Mexican immigration agents of harassing migrants in an effort to stop the group's advance. He urged them to travel closely together.

"They are terrorizing us," he said.

Share this story

CHINA DAILY
HONG KONG NEWS
OPEN
Please click in the upper right corner to open it in your browser !